Which antivirus app do you like and why?

The_Mage18

[H]ard|Gawd
It's that time again, Norton updates have expired on my lappy. $24.95 is too pricey IMO for a 2 year old product to continue to receive updates so I'm looking to replace it altogether. I am not pleased with Norton 2004 and 2005's seemingly libral policy on CPU usage and multitude of services it starts up so I'm not planning on upgrading. McAfee is out of the question, I've spent too many years fighting that damn program on crap it shouldn't have done in the first place.

What do you, the [H] gals/guys preffer for your antivirus solution? Keep in mind I don't need anything beyond antiviral protection, I have a server for my firewall needs and anything else is just wasted money to me. I found that PC-Cillian has some high ranks but experiances in the past keep me a little gun shy.

NOD32 hands down.. search the forum and you'll see [mostly] everybody agrees.

Most tests I've seen reports that NOD32 has the highest detection rate and less false alarms.

I like Grisoft AVG free edition because its free, updates automatically, comes with virus shield and email scanner. As far as Ive seen its no worse than Norton or McAffee and I am extremely pleased with it.

Bullguard 5.0 becuase it rocks and runs using almost no ram wich is more than i can say for norton

inertiadriftsc said:
I like Grisoft AVG free edition because its free, updates automatically, comes with virus shield and email scanner. As far as Ive seen its no worse than Norton or McAffee and I am extremely pleased with it.

Agreed. A very goood anti-virus program.

inertiadriftsc said:

Do you still have a Quarantine option in the free version? Most reviews I've read state that the free version does not offer this nor can you run scheduled tasks or make your own.

The_Mage18 said:
Do you still have a Quarantine option in the free version? Most reviews I've read state that the free version does not offer this nor can you run scheduled tasks or make your own.
Yes, it looks like it. If I ever get a virus I'll let you know. As to running sceduled tasks, I set mine to update virus defs at 1am then scan a 4am. Don't remember why I chose those times, but you can most certainly set custom scheduling.

As to the OP, NOD32 is a fantastic virus scanner and the one that I suggest to everyone running a PC. ATM, I am using AVG Free and it's capable and well put together for a free product. Granted, neither scanner has picked up a virus on my machine, but my money goes to NOD.

avast! Home Edition. Fairly low cpu, and memory usage. Seems to work very well.

I plan to upgrade to Professional Edition in the near future.

another vote for AVG free here....it's free, it has caught several things on my system and handled it correctly, and the scanner is extremely quick...way faster than McCrappy or Whoreton Antivirus

Is avg really that good, i may need to check this out. Does it have active scanning cause i dont want something to sneak in, and me having to scan to find it

NOd32 fastest most reliable AV software and its FREE!!! oh wait.. no tis not.. its 40USD... uhh.. its the best! still

i have it on all of my systems and not one of the systems has had a virus, where mcafee and norton let thru a bunch of viruses even with latest updates and full scans. those 2 are the most useless bunch of AV programs you can get. they are also the worst on computer resources, go figure, i think they are also the most expensive, in this case you DONT get what you pay for

i'm sure NOd32 is a good AV program, but why spend $39 on it when AVG is free? and it is extremely fast, it only takes about 10-12 mins to run a full scan on ~200GB of files...and i have yet to have a virus infect my system while running AVG

every time i have downloaded a file that contained a virus, it detected it and took care of the problem before anything could be infected (other than the file i downloaded to begin with, obviously)

but nod has a cool eye thing for its logo, nod also can terminate your connection if there is a viral script in the html code, it will ask you what to do, and you can just hit terminate

i guess if you're happy with it, then great.....but i can terminate my connection just as easily by right-clicking the LAN connection icon in the systray and pressing "disable"

doesn't seem like a feature that i'd want to pay $39 for

AVG Free becuase automatic updates no supscription and no annoying lets update. ;)

Another vote for AVG!, i run it on all my computers/servers. never a hitch!

It even allows you to install updates from a folder rather than the net. So i get all my updates and store them on a server, then all the computers just get them as needed. Works wonders. saves bandwidth, and is even better when i reinstall windows every so often :D

I used to love AVG but I got the latest version a couple weeks ago and it uses so much memory. I'm just going without now because firefox and common sense work perfectly.

thuper said:
I used to love AVG but I got the latest version a couple weeks ago and it uses so much memory. I'm just going without now because firefox and common sense work perfectly.

If your running XP, don't go without an antivirus... I guess you just "never know".. if you find a cheap, low-memory alternative it'll be better than nothing.

Looks like AVG for me. I'll try the free version first and see how it works. I have a few virii samples I can test it with to see how well it works. If I don't like it, I'll try the trial of NOD32.

Well was going to say whats your ip, but your running norton so getting it shouldnt be a problem, haha have fun with norton. i still have about 6months left on my subscriptions but im not going to use it

Hmm, I've used Norton for years but I just decided to try AVG and it's found 7 viruses that Norton missed. :rolleyes:

Panda Antivirus Platnium. I love it, and for me it uses little-to-no system resources. Their registration system is awesome as well, they give you a username/password thingy that seems just "right" to me, not anything like Norton (Norton = teh suck).

AuroraProject said:
Hmm, I've used Norton for years but I just decided to try AVG and it's found 7 viruses that Norton missed. :rolleyes:

yeah, but did you have the most recent definitions?

locutus24 said:
Dont defend norton

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen " Norton r teh sux! Itz not getting mi virazes!! 0h n0z! " only to find out they havn't updated their definitions in a year.

Absolutely, under no circumstances, should you consider keeping Norton. I live on a college campus where I constantly work on people's computers. Most of them are infected with viruses, and most are using up to date copies of Norton or McAffee. I just can't understand how so much gets by; half the time the damage is so bad that I end up reinstalling Windows. Wherever you take your money, don't go there.

As a poor college student, I prefer AVG Free. It's feature complete: it can do automatic updates and scans, has a resident shield, email scanning, and a Virus Vault (quarantine).

Also, my mother can use it, which is quite a feat in itself! ;)

norton corporate 9 edition. for small use of system resources and simplicity.

Back