Suggestions on motherboard for HTPC

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently picked up the Ceton InfiniTV4 due to the Newegg sales and I am looking to now build a dedicated PC for Media Center. Currently I am using the card in my i7-860 with 8GB of ram.

I just can't seem to decide on a motherboard though. It has been a while since I researched boards, and it seems every time I find one it has pretty significant issues.

Current Plans
CPU: i5-2500
Case: Probably Corsair 600T SE
Ram: G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1600 ..since I have some laying around
Video: plan to use onboard and possibly add a 460 when I upgrade my main PC's card for BF3
PSU: Corsair AX650
Drives: 1TB WD Black for OS or might scavenge a WD 640GB Black in a PC not really getting used.
Recording Drive: 1TB WD Black which is currently being used as my current recording drive

I plan to go with the mid-tower case so I have room for extra drives for storage, and also the PC will be at a desk in my bedroom. I keep going back and forth on whether I will run a single monitor or do a dual monitor setup with one output feeding my TV so I would like a board with dual outputs especially since I don't plan to add a graphics card till later.

I have been keeping an eye on the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, but the sleep issues are a bit worrisome since being a HTPC it will be sleeping when not streaming or recording. I also have been looking at the Intel DZ68DB, but it seems there is little to no info out there on this board. I am still looking researching other options like what Gigabyte offers.

I don't know how much transcoding I will actually be doing, but I never ripped my DVD collection since I never had an easy way to access it. I also may be running some conversion on the WTV recordings along with Show Analyzer so that I can at least get them into MPG so that I have access on other devices like some of my TiVos.

Any suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since I will be in a tower, I can go ATX. I don't plan to build a traditional HTPC since it won't be used at the TV exclusively.

Back