PayPal NOT a guaranteed win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone else knows that unless you use PP to pay for an item purchased on EBAY, you are NOT covered.

Any site OR person other than EBAY is basically able to take the money and run. The only way for a buyer to get their money back is to do it outside of Paypal. You are NOT covered, 100% sure of this from a recent transaction that went south.

Bought a set of leaf springs for my wife's Xterra from a major 4x4 Offroading site. Cost about $500 give or take. I ordered the correct parts (gave specific part #), had about 5 emails back and forth with the seller/owner making sure the correct parts were specified and ordered. He verified the parts on stock and I paid. 2 weeks later, still no springs. After 3 or 4 unanswered emails, the springs arrived. Looked nearly the same...had Nissan tags and all. Started to take off the old leafspring and a friend that was assisting noticed the guy sent the WRONG ones. (mine were 3ply with 1overload and he sent 2ply with 1 overload) I emailed him and then contacted my Nissan dealer to make sure that the springs were not in fact a more updated spring that would be fine to use. Turns out...there was no cross-reference and the dealer thought it would be better to NOT use them. If the spring rates were not right...problems could/would arise. He said send them back and get the correct ones. Well, the seller would NOT refund my money until the springs were returned...AT MY expense...AND on top of that, he was clippin me with a 20% restocking fee. UN-fricken-believable! Let me get this right...HE orders and SHIPS the WRONG parts and expects ME to pay to ship them back and pay for restocking? I don't think so. I contacted Paypal to file a claim and was told by not only the normal customer service rep, but a supervisor as well, that PP had/has NO authority to FORCE by LAW any person/business to refund payment AND they cannot withdraw their funds and refund me...even if the seller would tell them he scammed/screwed me. Their ability to do anything, other than "strongly suggest", ONLY applies to EBAY. At most, the said they will look into the seller's history and if there is a "pattern of misconduct" his acct "could be suspended or terminated". Wow. Great. My guess, they will do nothing in a situation like this. (BTW, at last check, his site is still up and his PP is still the same) Close his acct and lose the revenue from him? Hardly. To add insult to injury, I shipped back the springs expecting a refund. Didn't happen. 2 weeks of phone calls and unanswered emails and still no refund. The only way I managed to get back MOST of my money...he refunded the cost of the springs less original shipping and 20% restocking... was to just let him know...with a picture of his apartment, truck and business front...that I was just gonna drive the 4 hours to his place and GET the money back. Veiled threat....maybe....but it worked.

In the end...Paypal would like everyone to think they can protect your purchases, but in fact....they can ONLY protect your EBAY purchases. If there is any doubt...go ahead and call to talk to a rep. They will tell you right up front...sad but true.

On large purchases, you need to pay with Paypal credit card, not through your checking account. If you pay through your credit card, you have much more power. Dispute the charge through your credit card, and you will win 95% of the time. And you can dispute it through Paypal at the same time. I used to work at a very large credit card company, and the credit card company has the ultimate power to charge back. Good luck.

I tend to disagree. I sold something on [H] and the person paid with paypal non-cc, ended up trying to scam me by saying that the items I sent were not the items described, and after a lengthy dispute session they sided in his favor. If it wasn't for his laziness in delaying the return shipping of the items, I would have been out money and product, because I am confident he would have sent the items HE described, not what I sent. I got lucky, but if he had checked his email he would have gotten his money back.

Sorry to hear you got burned. I don't know why they threw their hands up for you but held onto my money in an invisible account for 2 months and bent over backwards to help the guy trying to scam me.

PS: Yes, this was a troll, and was covered in the troll section a while ago. But it's old news so I won't go into more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back