New Router has WiFi 6 802.11 ax connectivity. The WiFi on each computer needs upgrade?

Macho

Weaksauce
A simple swap out of my router and the WiFi does not connect easily and then disconnects and then no network is available error message.
The new WiFi is WiFi 6 with 802.11ax connectivity. My WiFi receivers that are 802.11n must not be good enough. Some told me that is WiFi 4. WiFi 5 is 802.11ac connectivity. I ordered the WiFi 6 ax connectivity receivers. No one told me in the technical
manual to upgrade, and all they said was to reboot the modem router. Not a word about this issue.

Download the technical manual from online if not supplied one with your new router. It clearly specifies WiFi 6 ax connectivity.

Depending on your AP you may have to set radio compatibility to a certain level. In my case my 2.4 GHz radio can be set as b, g, g/b, n, n/g, n/g/b, ax, ax/n/g, ax/n/g/b. The 5Ghz radio has similar settings that include A and AC.

802.11ax (WiFi6) is backward compatible with basically all older WiFi standards including 802.11a on 5Ghz and 802.11b on 2.4Ghz. It's not a problem if your client device only uses 802.11n unless you want more speed.

I wonder, did you enable WPA3 on the new router? Some older devices only support WPA2. If that's the case, you can keep it on WPA2, it's not a big deal.

802.11ax (WiFi6) is backward compatible with basically all older WiFi standards including 802.11a on 5Ghz and 802.11b on 2.4Ghz. It's not a problem if your client device only uses 802.11n unless you want more speed.

I wonder, did you enable WPA3 on the new router? Some older devices only support WPA2. If that's the case, you can keep it on WPA2, it's not a big deal.
I swapped out a T3260 Router with a T3280 Router and had problems with connecting WiFi. Multiple connections with it saying cannot connect and then it does, but
later will disconnects when I use the internet and go to my Gmail account or any other. Then NO INTERNET FOUND error messages. The T3280 can be logged onto with admin and password on the router. I tried changing to only 2.4 WiFi and no change so I reset it and swapped back the old T3260 and no help from the manufacturer saying what any problem was except to reboot the router and the simple common fixes did not work.

My DNS provider just sent me the newest router but there is no need to upgrade if I have any problems with it. Some people say WiFi6 is a fail and junk.

On my home network I run the following on each WiFi band:
2.4GHz: b/g/n/ax mixed
5GHz: a/n/ac/ax mixed

It works fine and every single client can connect. These are on TP-Link EAP660 HD access points.

WiFi6 is not a fail or junk, but your (Windstream provided?) all in one consumer router probably is. I don't know what configuration options you'll have on it but you might be able to tweak some stuff to get it to work right and you certainly won't need to update the WiFi on any client device.

WiFi6 is not a fail or junk, but your (Windstream provided?) all in one consumer router probably is. I don't know what configuration options you'll have on it but you might be able to tweak some stuff to get it to work right and you certainly won't need to update the WiFi on any client device.
Which is why I rejected the Comcast modem/router in favor of my separate modem and router.

It works fine and every single client can connect. These are on TP-Link EAP660 HD access points.

Log onto the DNS provider's website and there is a "HEALTH CHECK" tool that can be used. When it shows a yellow
trouble icon, it can be keyed on and a WiFi Network reboot can be done. If that is played around with possibly better
network connections can be the result. Then do that over again and over again and maybe better results.

O.K. Problem SOLVED.
Originally when a tech came to install my first connection on my first Router Modem, a CD/DVD was used with proprietary software
that re-directed my web browser (now with an add-on) to only the service providers website. It made the first connection and also
put in the MAC address & serial number of the Router Modem. That was long long ago when I had a slow XP computer that today with the software on it, does not even work.

A CD/DVD needs to be sent with any new modem router to swap out with their software. Otherwise..
Call the number at the end of the booklet for them to help.

They manually have to key in the MAC address you read to them over the telephone that is printed on the Router & give them the
SN: (serial number) They fix it all.

I do not know how I was even working at all on the Internet on Internet 2. The WiFi should not have worked at all, but it did.
After something distrupts you connection you have to use the orignial computer with that software on it to re establish you first connection again. Your WiFi problems if you have any might be this.

WiFi6 is not a fail or junk, but your (Windstream provided?) all in one consumer router probably is
^^THIS^^...especially the AIO Router from your ISP....they almost always send you the absolute cheapest, bottom-barrel p.o.s crap they can, to save a few $$ on their end....

I've been upgrading my home & my client's internet stuff from the many older standards to the latest ones (WiFi6/6E) for years, neveranottaproblemo, other than a few reboots here & there...and will do so again whenever the newest WiFi7-BE becomes more mainstream & affordable...

But as already mentioned, the newer ones are backwards compatible with the older ones, albeit with lack of a few of the newer features & options. HOWEVER, if you want/need maximum speed that is available from your shiny new 6/6E router, each device that connects to it will also need to be 6/6E capable, but most modern devices made in the past 2-3 years already meet that criteria, so you should be good for now :D

Back