New (open box) 7900 XTX issues - spontaneous reboots - need help

If anything you're getting better at trouble shooting. Just have to keep isolating.

I thought my 6800xt was giving me issues when I first got it. Turned out to be my mobo.

If anything you're getting better at trouble shooting. Just have to keep isolating.

I thought my 6800xt was giving me issues when I first got it. Turned out to be my mobo.
He already has pretty much isolated it. He was 100% stable with his 2080 ti but he made the common mistake of thinking re-installing windows would do anything.

He already has pretty much isolated it. He was 100% stable with his 2080 ti but he made the common mistake of thinking re-installing windows would do anything
I used DDU on that setup to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and I couldn't get amd drivers to install at all even agter. That's why I had to do a fresh win11 install. And tb4 was working fine with the 2080ti.

I have over 3 weeks to try and figure it out. I am rock solid in Ubuntu so it's probably not the card

I used DDU on that setup to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and I couldn't get amd drivers to install at all even agter. That's why I had to do a fresh win11 install. And tb4 was working fine with the 2080ti.
Right that was your first hint that something is likely wrong with the card. Honestly you don't even need to use DDU, you could have just plugged it in and installed the AMD drivers. Or uninstalled the nvidia drivers then shutdown, plug the 7900 in and install the AMD ones. I only use DDU now if I'm having issues or troubleshooting.

Right that was your first hint that something is likely wrong with the card. Honestly you don't even need to use DDU, you could have just plugged it in and installed the AMD drivers. Or uninstalled the nvidia drivers then shutdown, plug the 7900 in and install the AMD ones. I only use DDU now if I'm having issues or troubleshooting.
But then he said the card worked fine on a linux install.

You should be able to roll back to a restore point before you loaded TB4 driver.

I will, worked on it most of the night. Soon I will throw in the towel. I will try a few more things but if I can’t get it stable in Win11 I will probably just return it. Not worth the headache.

I think I figured it out-

I reinstalled Win11 again and started installing one driver at a time running Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmarks inbetween- upated windows to the latest version, everything good- and then my last two drivers in the device mgr-

Thunderbolt 4 and Realtek Bluetooth-

Installed the Intel Thunderbolt 4 driver set, within a minute- spontaneous reboot. Uninstalled drivers seems to be working ok at the moment. (I'll probably turn it off in the BIOS for now) I suspected Ubuntu didn't load the TB4 drivers for this board because it's on an AM5 setup.

I specifically purchased this board for the TB4 support for some music production work I was planning on doing. If this turns out to be the problem I guess I'll shoot a message over to Asus- probably needs another firmware update.

Well that was pretty difficult to narrow down. Thanks for all the help.

Edit- Damnit- still doing it even after I uninstalled the drivers. I guess I will disable in BIOS and then try another fresh install- pretty sure this has something to do with it or one of the Win11 22H2 updates.
Unbelievable that windows / asus can't get something basic like TB 4 right. Is Windows 10 an option?

Last edited:
Did you disable the TB4 device after uninstalling drivers (windows probably using some basic Microsoft driver)? Hmm, have similar issue with my work Dell laptop thunderbolt dock. Will just randomly crash (may go a few days without locking, maybe an hour) if my Nvidia 1050ti is enabled and laptop is docked. Just disabled the 1050ti and haven't locked up since in docked mode. Windows and devices man, feels like IRQ issues back in the Windows 95/98 days.

Did you disable the TB4 device after uninstalling drivers (windows probably using some basic Microsoft driver)? Hmm, have similar issue with my work Dell laptop thunderbolt dock. Will just randomly crash (may go a few days without locking, maybe an hour) if my Nvidia 1050ti is enabled and laptop is docked. Just disabled the 1050ti and haven't locked up since in docked mode. Windows and devices man, feels like IRQ issues back in the Windows 95/98 days.
Yeah, I disabled it on BIOS after uninstalling the Intel TB driver. Even with it off in bios spontaneous reboot.

I'm narrowing it down anyways. I didn't check Ubuntu to see if TB drivers were installed but I suspect not.

It seems to be either the latest Win11 22H2 preview build which auto-installed or the TB4 drivers. I'm hoping I'm right because I'm getting tired of troubleshooting.

Can try what I did for Dell Laptop, but in reverse and disable the integrated gpu (if enabled). If similar issue, would have a windows application log error related to BSOD with error "clock_watchdog_timeout".

Can try what I did for Dell Laptop, but in reverse and disable the integrated gpu (if enabled). If similar issue, would have a windows application log error related to BSOD with error "clock_watchdog_timeout".
Thx.

Onboard TB4 worked absolutely fine with the 2080Ti. I already disabled onboard gpu, and everything else I’m not using. I’m probably missing something as I’m new to the AM5 platform,

I’ll try again later.

Thx.

Onboard TB4 worked absolutely fine with the 2080Ti. I already disabled onboard gpu, and everything else I’m not using. I’m probably missing something as I’m new to the AM5 platform,

I’ll try again later.

Go to AMD site, download the auto detect tool and not the driver. DDU the drivers, then launch the installer. Uncheck the "recommended" check box, and select 23.2.1 or 23.2.2 which actually worked. All of the 23.3.X have been absolute dogshit with crashing all the time after they enabled that instant replay feature.

Alternatively, get rid of the card and get a 4080 which will solve all problems.

Well I did my last fresh install with TB4 disabled in BIOS, updated and reinstalled everything except my SB Katana and monitor drivers.

If it happens again I'm done. The card goes back.

Well I did my last fresh install with TB4 disabled in BIOS, updated and reinstalled everything except my SB Katana and monitor drivers.

If it happens again I'm done. The card goes back.

I'm testing mine right now after swapping out the PSU. I was running an RM1000x, now we're going to test it with Thermaltake GF1 1200W. For what its worth, when I took the Corsair unit out after the last crash half an hour ago, the power supply was hotter than the graphics card. It must have been running right under its thermal limit, I actually dropped it thats how hot it was even after all the time of pulling the case apart and removing all the cables.

I give up. I might need a new PSU, I have no idea. 2080Ti works fine.

If I buy a new card at some point in the future and I have problems I'll replace the PSU.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me out with this.

Last edited:
Nope, card is fine, PSU fine, AMD is the problem.

Installed Ubuntu on a spare drive, installed latest AMD Ubuntu drivers, Steam, then Shadow of the Tombraider.

4k, Vulkan, all settings high, 136fps average on benchmark. No artifacts, everything rock solid. Been using Ubuntu the last few hours, absolutely no problems, no reboots, etc.

First time in forever I purchased an AMD card and it doesn't even work in Windows. I don't know what else there is to say.

I could probably bang my head against a wall forever and still not get it to work. You would think that since I at least that I have an entire AMD build they would work OK together.

Unless anyone has any ideas, I guess I'll return it- probably skip this gen and wait for the next gen of Nvidia cards.

PSU did not fix my crashes, going to keep investigating.

Its the IOR Power phase controller that is faulty.

Quite a stretch applying that video to a completely different design/architecture gpu. Clearly a monolithic die card in the video so nothing there applies to the 7000 series cards other than the most basic design principals of power delivery while ignoring the specifics of the architectural changes that were made. Your assumption is an error at best so please refrain from guessing.

I give up. I might need a new PSU, I have no idea. 2080Ti works fine.

If I buy a new card at some point in the future and I have problems I'll replace the PSU.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me out with this.
Sucks but I think that's the right decision. If it was a new card I'd be much more suspicious of other HW but in this case it's not worth the hassle.

Sucks but I think that's the right decision. If it was a new card I'd be much more suspicious of other HW but in this case it's not worth the hassle.

I am troubleshooting the same problem, I can't play a game for more than a few minutes without either a reboot or a driver crash. My card is a Sapphire 7900XTX Pulse, brand new. I just tried it in my old rig and it immediately crashed after 15 minutes of gameplay. This seems to be extremely common for the 7900 series cards if other forums are anything to go by.

Reactions: pavel
like this
It’s certainly possible to get a lemon. The only 4090 box I have built for a buddy absolutely would not reliably boot without a black screen every 3-4 posts. Swapped monitors, hdmi , display port cables, returned the psu for a different one, drivers , windows etc etc. returned the PNY 4090 for the Asus Tuf 4090 and it’s been fine ever since.

Long story short shit happens and bad out of box is possible with any hardware regardless of manufacturer.

Yup, my first 4090 went bad. Thankfully got a replacement as bought from local chain store (centralcomputers.com in SF Bay Area) that keeps a few in stock for RMA. This was first few months of 4090 release when they were hard to come by so I tend to buy local (really miss Bay Area MicroCenter and Frys). Never had a brand new card go bad after working perfectly for a week, but happens.

This thread showed some good troubleshooting, but nothing saves more time than having a spare open bench (I use an old AM4 B450 with a 1700x and it's motherboard box as case) or access to another PC so can really isolate component. Also with these high end GPUs(>400w usage, still getting use to that), things that may have worked with previously stable system get pushed to limit (usually RAM or PSU).

Last edited:
Yup, my first 4090 went bad. Thankfully got a replacement as bought from local chain store (centralcomputers.com in SF Bay Area) that keeps a few in stock for RMA. This was first few months of 4090 release when they were hard to come by so I tend to buy local (really miss Bay Area MicroCenter and Frys). Never had a brand new card go bad after working perfectly for a week, but happens.

This thread showed some good troubleshooting, but nothing saves more time than having a spare open bench (I use an old AM4 B450 with a 1700x and it's motherboard box as case) or access to another PC so can really isolate component. Also with these high end GPUs(>400w usage, still getting use to that), things that may have worked with previously stable system get pushed to limit (usually RAM or PSU).
Same here B450 and a 5600G on the open test bench only used for testing suspect hardware. Saves tons of time and effort when chasing intermittent hardware issues.

Same here B450 and a 5600G on the open test bench only used for testing suspect hardware. Saves tons of time and effort when chasing intermittent hardware issues.

I have a spare box without any side panels I use for this with a cheap B450 matx board and an old 1800X. I have been running the 23.1.1 drivers from feb for a day now and it seems to be running fine with no crashes, previously it only took 10-15 minutes to get one, sometimes just changing the video settings in a game would crash the machine.

Going to return thr card later tonight. There is a deal on Newegg right now for a new 7900xtx for $799 w/Starfield, so I’m tempted there. 4080 is $1k.

Debating. See what I decide after I return the card. Unfortunately takes a few days to get a refund in my card.

Going to return thr card later tonight. There is a deal on Newegg right now for a new 7900xtx for $799 w/Starfield, so I’m tempted there. 4080 is $1k.

Debating. See what I decide after I return the card. Unfortunately takes a few days to get a refund in my card.

I think I'm going to follow suit, I just had another crash after I played battlefront for like 7 minutes. It sucks really bad to have every game crash all the time.

Well I just picked up the ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 7900xtx for $850 shipped with Starfield- I was going to buy the game anyways so I pretty much paid what I did for the open-box card from MC. I generally don't like to do the "Pay Later" (ZipPay) stuff, but the $100 promo was too tempting. I'll just pay the whole thing off when I get the card.

I guess now we'll really find out if it was the card, my PSU or possibly something else entirely (like my motherboard or the drivers).

Unfortunately the only way to test in another system is to yank the PSU and use my 5820k which I don’t want to do. I had a lower lumbar fusion which makes it difficult for me to bend over for an extended period of time. It took me 3x-4x longer to build my new setup than it should have.
Put in on a table maybe? I mean why are you putting things in a bad way for yourself? Odd.

Put in on a table maybe? I mean why are you putting things in a bad way for yourself? Odd.
I appreciate your concern. Believe me when I say I already have things set up in the most accessible way possible.

Looking forward to the new card.

I appreciate your concern. Believe me when I say I already have things set up in the most accessible way possible.

Looking forward to the new card.

I'm waiting to see how yours does before I decide if I want another one. I put my spare RX 6600 in my box and moved the 4K screen aside for my crappy 1080p monitor and its amazing to be able to play a game without crashing just as you get going.

I'm waiting to see how yours does before I decide if I want another one. I put my spare RX 6600 in my box and moved the 4K screen aside for my crappy 1080p monitor and its amazing to be able to play a game without crashing just as you get going.
Once I get it I have 30 days to figure it out. Either way I get a free copy of Starfield out of it. :D

Still in processing hell at the local UPS distro. Should have been delivered for the last two days.

Will call UPS tomorrow I guess.

Edit- In delivery limbo. Hope it’s not damaged.

Edit- finally delivered. They dumped it outside without the required signature. When UPS does stuff like that I’m always tempted to say I never received it.

Last edited:
Card installed- I definitely need a new PSU (at least a new fan), the fan is so loud I guess I never noticed it before because the rest of my case fans were 10yrs old and shit. I cleaned it off as I best I could and it didn't seem to matter. I also discovered I have a short in my displayport cable, and this is a really good braided-sleeved one- so go figure.

Card seems to be stable at the moment. It's been stable long enough for me to register Starfield so that was the biggest hurdle so far.

Back