Need to Identify Cable Needed

celwin

[H]ard|Gawd
Can someone with knowledge of XLR/TRS balanced connectors tell me the exact type of cable I need to connect what's in pic 1 to pic 2?

s5borb.jpg

2rz715c.jpg

Isn't the bottom pic an XLR 1/4 combo plug?

You need a 1/4 jack with a tip ring and sleeve,no?

I don't know man. All this is very new to me. It's a little confusing; hence the reason I need a definitive answer.

Isn't the bottom pic an XLR 1/4 combo plug?

You need a 1/4 jack with a tip ring and sleeve,no?

I'm about 99.9% certain you need a TRS 1/4 to XLR Male cable, such as the one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Premier-4inch-16AWG-Plated/dp/B001UJEKZ6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1506431155&sr=8-6&keywords=1/4+to+xlr

Note that a regular TS 1/4 to XLR Male cable will look almost identical, except that the 1/4 inch jack will only have 2 sections separated by a single colored ring. The cable you need (TRS) will have three sections separated by 2 colored rings.

EDIT: Just noticed that the bottom pic shows a TRS/XLR combo plug - this means that you could use a TRS 1/4 Male to TRS 1/4 male cable in addition to the one I linked above.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In addition or instead of? the cable you linked to does not look like it can physically connect to the XLR/TRS input in my pic?

I'm about 99.9% certain you need a TRS 1/4 to XLR Male cable, such as the one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Premier-4inch-16AWG-Plated/dp/B001UJEKZ6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1506431155&sr=8-6&keywords=1/4+to+xlr

Note that a regular TS 1/4 to XLR Male cable will look almost identical, except that the 1/4 inch jack will only have 2 sections separated by a single colored ring. The cable you need (TRS) will have three sections separated by 2 colored rings.

EDIT: Just noticed that the bottom pic shows a TRS/XLR combo plug - this means that you could use a TRS 1/4 Male to TRS 1/4 male cable in addition to the one I linked above.

In addition or instead of? the cable you linked to does not look like it can physically connect to the XLR/TRS input in my pic?

The cable I linked would definitely connect to your setup. However, like the poster above me said, if you are wanting to keep this simple, just go for a regular TRS to TRS 1/4 cable. When I said addition, I did mean instead of. The combo-plug fits the male XLR in addition to the TRS. It doesn't look like it, but trust me it works - I have a Zoom H6 recorder about 3 feet from me that has that 4 of those ports and it fits both types of cables.

Here's a link to a decent TRS cable for home use:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-HSS-005-Balanced-Interconnect-Cable/dp/B006H9ZCJ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506432542&sr=8-3&keywords=1/4+trs+cable

EDIT: Here's a better cable. It's cheaper, but a thicker gauge wire. You need to add it as an add-on item to a larger order, but I've had good experiences with mono-price cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...rd_wg=Qv1aB&psc=1&refRID=F50B80XMH65C06ZRKTP8

Look up what 'balanced' means; it's similar to what Cat5+ cables do to cancel up to moderate amounts of line noise/interference.

If you had a balanced source, you could use the balanced inputs and gain that noise cancellation, however, you're not likely to see noise in short runs, so just running TRS->TRS as suggested above would almost certainly be fine.

Edited due to correction: source is a (very clearly labeled!) balanced TRS output.

Last edited:
That sort of connector takes both 1/4 trs and regular xlr male. You can use either one.

Look up what 'balanced' means; it's similar to what Cat5+ cables do to cancel up to moderate amounts of line noise/interference.

If you had a balanced source, you could use the balanced inputs and gain that noise cancellation, however, you're not likely to see noise in short runs, so just running TRS->TRS as suggested above would almost certainly be fine.

As we can see from his first pic his source is balanced 1/4 TRS. The combo jacks on his speakers will take either XLR or 1/4 TRS.

If he uses TRS cables his audio will be balanced. No need to bring up hiss or interference. Krixon and gtrguy posted exactly what he needs, either 1/4 TRS to 1/4 TRS or 1/4 TRS to male XLR.

OP - Those are what, the Rockville APM5B's? I've been looking at powered speakers around $100 to drag to work. How do you like them?

As we can see from his first pic his source is balanced 1/4 TRS. The combo jacks on his speakers will take either XLR or 1/4 TRS.

If he uses TRS cables his audio will be balanced. No need to bring up hiss or interference. Krixon and gtrguy posted exactly what he needs, either 1/4 TRS to 1/4 TRS or 1/4 TRS to male XLR.

OP - Those are what, the Rockville APM5B's? I've been looking at powered speakers around $100 to drag to work. How do you like them?

Yes they are Rockville monitors, but the 8" version (APM8W). I LOVE them. They replaced my old Logitech Z680 5.1 computer speakers. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of audio detail/quality and loudness. I can crank these all the way up and not a hint of clippping or distortion; And they can get uncomfortably loud. I will NEVER go back to computer speakers. They are hooked up to a usb audio interface. Now all I need is their subwoofer to complete the setup.

Yeah, there are some fantastic deals in prosumer audio right now. Way better than audiophile. Even there, good sound is the most inexpensive and best it's ever been.

That's a fuckton of power for a desk. Being 8's, they should get loud and low. I wouldn't expect that you *need* a sub. Amazon says they get down to 30hz. You could try a DSP curve that kills a bit of loudness to try and get them lower...

My JBL LSR305s get down into the low 40hz range. I got noticeably better sound quality out of $100 worth of rock wool, fabric and 2x4s than I did from adding a 10 inch sub. I'm only good down to 25-30hz on the bottom end anyway and took a lot of tuning to get right.

I'd get the best out of what you have before throwing more money and gear into the room - especially since you can already get down to the lowest note on a five string bass. Proper placement is worth way more than another doodad or thingamajig.

Take a peek at the Cardas golden ratio guide here: http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_rectangular_room.php

My JBL LSR305s get down into the low 40hz range. I got noticeably better sound quality out of $100 worth of rock wool, fabric and 2x4s than I did from adding a 10 inch sub. I'm only good down to 25-30hz on the bottom end anyway and took a lot of tuning to get right.

I'd get the best out of what you have before throwing more money and gear into the room - especially since you can already get down to the lowest note on a five string bass. Proper placement is worth way more than another doodad or thingamajig.

Take a peek at the Cardas golden ratio guide here: http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_rectangular_room.php

Your expertise is waaay beyond mine man. I'm just getting into this stuff. Even if I wanted to I could not do what you did with the rock wool and 2x4s.

I could not do what you did

It's literally as easy as it sounds. Build frames with 2x4s, insert rock wool, cover with fabric, place at reflection points on walls and ceiling. If you have any left, stick in the corners at a 45 degree angle.

Last edited:
Back