LG 32GS95UE – OLED 31.5″ with 4K @ 240Hz and 1080p @ 480Hz Support - The death knell of LCD panels

View: https://youtu.be/1zywFKUfb2s?feature=shared&t=387

He did a brightness measurement on the window size with his settings listed.

I'll see if I can grab a luminance tool to measure from a buddy and provide what mine shows.

Test patterns are not always indicative of real world performance though. See below:

1715808509974.png

If you go by the test patterns then you would think the PG34WCDM should absolutely slap the PG42UQ, but in real scene brightness it does not. The PG42UQ is almost double the brightness.

Test patterns are not always indicative of real world performance though. See below:

View attachment 653951

If you go by the test patterns then you would think the PG34WCDM should absolutely slap the PG42UQ, but in real scene brightness it does not. The PG42UQ is almost double the brightness.
the eotf is also apparently 💩 on the PG34 which is probably good chunk of the blame.

Current HDR calibration/eotf in the different presets on the LG looks poor also especially for the cost of this monitor.

There is black crush and stuff is over brightened at times.

Anyone who says it's significantly brighter is crazy but it is visually a little brighter in whites and full screen compared to my AW34 which according to rtings was brighter then the AW32.

Honestly though graphs like this can be a bit misleading as it's hard to know what mode each of these was tested in.

Comparing directly to my AW32, the LG is way brighter in whites. I think this gives a perception of being brighter overall. Oh and in vivid mode the LG absolutely crushes the QDOLED's in brightness, but it's not going to be for everyone as you lose accuracy. I wish I still had my spectrometer for measurements.

Reactions: Hypez
like this
Comparing directly to my AW32, the LG is way brighter in whites. I think this gives a perception of being brighter overall. Oh and in vivid mode the LG absolutely crushes the QDOLED's in brightness, but it's not going to be for everyone as you lose accuracy. I wish I still had my spectrometer for measurements.
What settings do you prefer outside of vivid for HDR? Between Gamer 1 and 2 I can't seem to find one that looks right to me for majority of content. I have been flipping between them depending what I am doing.

RTings has a 32GE95UE purchased so we should see a review in 2 weeks or so. I'm really doubting that the LG is actually significantly brighter than the 3rd gen QD OLEDs despite the user reports saying it is though. The numbers just don't seem to back up that claim but let's see what we get from RTings.

View attachment 653944
You cropped out what the bars mean (n)

The blue bars are whatever he determines are "highlights". And the orange bars are whatever he determines "terrain". And in this specific "test", the LG doesn't do much better.

However, in a test pattern, the 10% window brightness is way higher (as tested by the same reviewer, The Display Guy). There will be some real content out there where that matters. There could even be some environments in Baldur's Gate 3 where different colors are emphasized, where that matters. It all changes scene to scene.
1715812667551.png

You cropped out what the bars mean (n)

The blue bars are whatever he determines are "highlights". And the orange bars are whatever he determines "terrain". And in this specific "test", the LG doesn't do much better.

However, in a test pattern, the 10% window brightness is way higher (as tested by the same reviewer, The Display Guy). There will be some real content out there where that matters. There could even be some environments in Baldur's Gate 3 where different colors are emphasized, where that matters. It all changes scene to scene.
View attachment 653962

Does it matter? Like I said, I'm not putting too much weight on his graph anyway, the guy is very much a clown when it comes to monitors but at least he has some actual numbers vs other reviewers who provide zero data. I will be keeping a look out as more and more data comes in from other reviewers.

Man I cant take the way that dude talks...its like annoying stops and starts in his stacchato.....like nails on a chalk board
That guy seems to mostly make specs parroting videos where he just reads some specs of a display and whatever.

What settings do you prefer outside of vivid for HDR? Between Gamer 1 and 2 I can't seem to find one that looks right to me for majority of content. I have been flipping between them depending what I am doing.

I only use vivid :D. Brightness and saturation mean more to me than accuracy for gaming.

The most funny part of The Display Guy is that it seems like there are so many people, especially on Reddit, that claim that no one should ever watch his videos, yet they seem to know every little detail from his videos :D

Acting like a total dufus is his shtick. I find a lot of his reviews informational. He actually does run tests unlike some of the other online personalities that do "reviews."

No one should be counting on any single review anyway and should always take many reviews into account.

Acting like a total dufus is his shtick. I find a lot of his reviews informational. He actually does run tests unlike some of the other online personalities that do "reviews."

No one should be counting on any single review anyway and should always take many reviews into account.

Yeah for as much of a clown as the guy is (ESPECIALLY when it comes to matte finishes), at least he provides some useful data. Almost every other review I've watched on the LG just gives a bunch of talking points and zero data.

Yeah for as much of a clown as the guy is (ESPECIALLY when it comes to matte finishes), at least he provides some useful data. Almost every other review I've watched on the LG just gives a bunch of talking points and zero data.
I am not a fan of his but for the most part his review of this monitor was spot on outside of the matte shit. The matte coating on this monitor is phenomenal, sure it's not glossy good but I have used a ton of displays and this is easily the best AR coating I have ever seen on a display.

His bit on HDR is pretty accurate though this monitor reaaaally feels half baked and needs a firmware update. The eotf and presets are just offff it makes HDR look weird at times and it's killing me. It makes me want to return it but I only paid 900ish for it and at that price point + LG nonsense and restock fee I might just hold out for hopefully a firmware fix because the rest of this display is amazing.

I am not a fan of his but for the most part his review of this monitor was spot on outside of the matte shit. The matte coating on this monitor is phenomenal, sure it's not glossy good but I have used a ton of displays and this is easily the best AR coating I have ever seen on a display.

His bit on HDR is pretty accurate though this monitor reaaaally feels half baked and needs a firmware update. The eotf and presets are just offff it makes HDR look weird at times and it's killing me. It makes me want to return it but I only paid 900ish for it and at that price point + LG nonsense and restock fee I might just hold out for hopefully a firmware fix because the rest of this display is amazing.

They will fix it. LG is very good when it comes to firmware updates. The CX launched with a handful of problems that were all addressed about 2 months later.

They will fix it. LG is very good when it comes to firmware updates. The CX launched with a handful of problems that were all addressed about 2 months later.
I am eyeing this monitor for myself. But, I can comment that LG was on top of the CX firmwares when I got the TV. To this day this TV has been top notch with no burn in. Best purchase for a TV I have made in awhile.

For those that have both a qd oled and the lg, which one will you keep?

As mentioned I cancelled my order (thinking it will be discounted soon) and ended up placing an order for the dell (partially as I had a bit of credit with them to be used and it was on sale, again).

Curve doesn’t bother me and Dell have been pretty good with returns in the past.

Aesthetically the lg looks a LOT better..

I got to play with the G8 32" QD-OLED and LG 32" side by side. I prefer the LG.

I will wait till HDR etc... is less of a mess on windows.
It's not bad these days. They still could and hopefully will improve it further, but as it stands it works pretty well. You can easily toggle it on and off, when it is on Windows applies corrections for SDR programs when HDR is on so they look right, and you just set the brightness with a slider in Windows. As for how well it works in game, depends on the game. Some don't support it, some are kinda trash, some are great.

SDR still looks horrible with HDR on with this monitor, and guessing what's right with a slider has always been crazy to me.

Yeah HDR is broken on this monitor for the most part. Any game that's dark is literally unplayable due to how bad the black crush is. You can not fix it with calibration unless you completely blow out the scene. It also isn't properly brightening highlights either it seems to just brighten the entire image which results in a bright picture but just looks dull. The gamma in HDR also seems off as well it's almost like it's not correctly processing HDR signal.

Completely unacceptable for a 1400$ monitor.

SDR looks great and honestly the dual mode is freaking sweet but I opted to return this monitor. LG called me after I started the RMA process and offered me an extra year of warranty if I keep the monitor bumping it from 2 years to 3 years with burn in protection or so she claimed on the phone. Sort of surprised they did that? must be seeing a higher rate of return then expected. She also told me they would charge the restock fee based off the subtotal MSRP not the discount price so it was around 120$ to return so big sad face.

Considering the price I paid and now an extra year of warranty I dunno if I should wait for a firmware or just dump it while I can.

How not a single reviewer besides hardware unboxed sorta / kinda have mentioned these HDR problems is pretty wild or I guess maybe mines just defective that's possible too.

Yeah I agree. After spending more time with it today the HDR calibration is utter trash.

Yeah HDR is broken on this monitor for the most part. Any game that's dark is literally unplayable due to how bad the black crush is. You can not fix it with calibration unless you completely blow out the scene. It also isn't properly brightening highlights either it seems to just brighten the entire image which results in a bright picture but just looks dull. The gamma in HDR also seems off as well it's almost like it's not correctly processing HDR signal.

Completely unacceptable for a 1400$ monitor.

SDR looks great and honestly the dual mode is freaking sweet but I opted to return this monitor. LG called me after I started the RMA process and offered me an extra year of warranty if I keep the monitor bumping it from 2 years to 3 years with burn in protection or so she claimed on the phone. Sort of surprised they did that? must be seeing a higher rate of return then expected. She also told me they would charge the restock fee based off the subtotal MSRP not the discount price so it was around 120$ to return so big sad face.

Considering the price I paid and now an extra year of warranty I dunno if I should wait for a firmware or just dump it while I can.

How not a single reviewer besides hardware unboxed sorta / kinda have mentioned these HDR problems is pretty wild or I guess maybe mines just defective that's possible too.

Nah it isn't defective. Most reviewers are simply clueless, or they just don't bother since the majority of consumers wouldn't even have an idea what they're talking about if they tried to explain this. How many people do you know would understand what you're talking about if you tried to talk about things like EOTF tracking and tone mapping to them? Anyways it is quite a shame that LG's first 4K OLED had to launch like this as their TVs are excellent when it comes to HDR.

Asus rep JJ has also confirmed that the PG32UCDP will be available this quarter so looks like you guys won't have to wait much longer for an alternative to this LG:

1716415924783.png

Could definitely slip, but the panel's been in mass production since last month I think? So no reason why a release at the very end of June isn't possible.

Could definitely slip, but the panel's been in mass production since last month I think? So no reason why a release at the very end of June isn't possible.
All Asus needs to do to succeed is get rid of the vignette crap and it will look 15% brighter out the box than the LG and make it obsolete. I would pay the premium just for that.

Considering that their 27 has no vignette unlike the LG version, they've basically already solidified that it will be the better option between the two.

All Asus needs to do to succeed is get rid of the vignette crap and it will look 15% brighter out the box than the LG and make it obsolete. I would pay the premium just for that.

Considering that their 27 has no vignette unlike the LG version, they've basically already solidified that it will be the better option between the two.

Well that and also not have a brokenass EOTF.

My friend found some guy on reddit who set his HDR calibration clipping point to 1300nits and the monitor actually got brighter. I went over there to pick up my PG32UQX while he was messing with this and it does actually get brighter when set so high but we found 1000nits to be the correct value to retain color and it only works in some games. There is definitely something funky going on with its HDR. When set this high the highlights actually look brighter vs that Samsung QD-OLED but he has to measure to see if its the real deal.

This whole mess of OLED monitors with QD OLEDs having aggressive dimming in P1000 mode and this WOLED just flat out behaving strange has me feeling some newfound appreciation for my CX where I can just set it to HGiG mode and calibrate to 800 nits for a decent experience. No super aggressive dimming in high APL scenes and no extra wonkiness, it just works. Too bad it's only 120Hz.

This whole mess of OLED monitors with QD OLEDs having aggressive dimming in P1000 mode and this WOLED just flat out behaving strange has me feeling some newfound appreciation for my CX where I can just set it to HGiG mode and calibrate to 800 nits for a decent experience. No super aggressive dimming in high APL scenes and no extra wonkiness, it just works. Too bad it's only 120Hz.
I think its pretty subjective with the better stuff. Because there are plenty out there, who think that LG TVs ABL is too aggressive.

My friend found some guy on reddit who set his HDR calibration clipping point to 1300nits and the monitor actually got brighter. I went over there to pick up my PG32UQX while he was messing with this and it does actually get brighter when set so high but we found 1000nits to be the correct value to retain color and it only works in some games. There is definitely something funky going on with its HDR. When set this high the highlights actually look brighter vs that Samsung QD-OLED but he has to measure to see if its the real deal.
I gave this a try and set it to 1000 instead of 600 on both white windows and weirdly enough I had the same experience and most games I tried actually saw an improvement in HDR image. With out making any other config changes the black crush was better and highlights also seemed brighter.

Windows does register this monitor as a 1000 nits peak brightness display in the properties despite it clipping at 603. It's possible it's just a miss match in the hardware on the display and config causing the weird issues?

LG really needs to drop a firmware like tomorrow on this so I can properly test it before I have to send it back.

I gave this a try and set it to 1000 instead of 600 on both white windows and weirdly enough I had the same experience and most games I tried actually saw an improvement in HDR image. With out making any other config changes the black crush was better and highlights also seemed brighter.

Windows does register this monitor as a 1000 nits peak brightness display in the properties despite it clipping at 603. It's possible it's just a miss match in the hardware on the display and config causing the weird issues?

LG really needs to drop a firmware like tomorrow on this so I can properly test it before I have to send it back.
I think the clipping point and behavior they have set is intentional including the over brightened EOTF. The CPC setting being enabled with no way to override says it all because it only exists to dim HUD elements at the edges and prevent wear. The panel is capable of more but they are holding it back to prevent burn in. The bright EOTF I feel was done to compensate and give users the illusion of a brighter image. Too bad they went about it in such a dumb way because they could have just made it accurate and provided other options like the Samsung does such as dynamic tonemapping or different HDR profiles for people who like that super bright look.

We gave the HDR tonemapping setting a go in the service menu and the games that were blown out with in game brightness set to 1000nits tonemap correctly and look a bit brighter. There is also a peak brightness setting that is at 100 and goes up to 120. The potential is there, LG is just gimping it.

If you do end up return it, are you going to try out the PG32UCDP instead?

If you do end up return it, are you going to try out the PG32UCDP instead?
Yeah I might as outside of the real poor HDR performance I actually really like this montor despite moving forward with the RMA. SDR is fantastic on this display and the text is light years better then my Gen1 QD display. I also enjoy the bright clear whites compared to QD and dual mode is pretty sweet. It took me a minute to get used to 32 inch 1080 but after a couple games in overwatch it wasn't a problem and it literally feels like you are cheating at times with how good the clarity and motion tracking is.

If the PG32UCDP launches in the Juneish time frame and doesn't have an Asus tax as this monitor is already overpriced I'll probably pick it up.

I also plan to give the new glossy 27" variant a try. 1440 suuucks but it's little brother in the asus line up can do close to 800ish nits real scene and if this 20% brighter and glossy ooof might be one hell of a HDR picture.

Asus version will probably be $1500. They are marketing it as a higher tier product than the QD-OLED version.

Between $1500 and the $850 this LG has gone for on sale, makes no sense IMO. I'd just keep the LG and pray they at least correct EOTF. Also knowing Asus, half of its features will be broken in some way or another for at least a few months.

Last edited:
I personally don't think Asus will be able to maintain a $1400+ price tag for very long. There is simply way too much competition in the 32" OLED space and the 480Hz mode is extremely niche. Also, the internet has been led to believe that QD OLED is far far superior to WOLED similar in a way that everyone back then believed that IPS was far superior to VA so I'm sure most people are going to say "There's no way I would pay that much for a WOLED" and the prices will just have to come down.

Back