How many % of today's PC can be windows 12 ready? And why is Windows 10 lifespan shorter than prev. version?

why do they have to officially announce by March? why can't they just announce it in June and come out as a hard launch in June / July?

So what happens when an operating system is end of life. Is it just security updates?
Is it that big of a deal breaker that there are no 3rd party security programs that can make up the difference?
Or support for other programs that are not officially updated by Microsoft isn't there other programs that can fill in 3rd party?
What would be a major drawback to using Win 10 for the next 10 years if you wanted to other than the thread director which is a Microsoft exclusive it seems?
Because if it weren't for the thread director I would go back to Win 10.

You answered all your questions with this comment. Old OS's lose features, hardware capability, new standards and many other items than just security. No vendor is going to back to Windows 7 and make it usable for today.

Not if you use a proper firewall. And you should.

Clearly didn't read my post. "other items than just security". Would love to know how a firewall will fix an old OS to run the newest hardware standards and feature releases.

You clearly didn't read mine either because my response had nothing to do with security. It had to do with loosing (non security) features.

You answered all your questions with this comment. Old OS's lose features, hardware capability, new standards and many other items than just security. No vendor is going to back to Windows 7 and make it usable for today.
That's not what I want though. I just miss the basic functionality of win 10 with the updates of win 11. You can't tell me it's too hard lol

That's not what I want though. I just miss the basic functionality of win 10 with the updates of win 11. You can't tell me it's too hard lol
It is creeping up on 9-10years old at this point already.

Maybe there is potential there though, what would you be willing to pay for legacy updates on windows? $20-30 yearly might not be too terrible for something like that.

What features, standards, and updates can't be integrated other than a thread director and security patches? Isn't 10 similar to 11 in a lot of ways?

What features, standards, and updates can't be integrated other than a thread director and security patches? Isn't 10 similar to 11 in a lot of ways?
Can't is not the right word, it's won't. No software vendor will ever continually update an original product for free unless it's fully supported by a volunteer open source crowd. A company would not exist without the new sales or revenue channels. One of the many reasons the last few years have seen a rise in subscription models of licensing to lure in more dollars.

why do they have to officially announce by March? why can't they just announce it in June and come out as a hard launch in June / July?
Because they have a responsibility to their shareholders and vendors. Dropping the announcement days or weeks before launch would eat into advertising revenue, exposure, and would leave vendors unprepared to make the transition.

Not if you use a proper firewall. And you should.
Proper firewall does not stop users from clicking on crap, period. A proper firewall only blocks incoming (and for the few who set it up) outgoing traffic. Inspection and other crap? Most people can not afford those types of firewalls and again, if an end user clicks something, or downloads something, does not matter what perimeter devices you have on your network...

Those malicious links and downloads, they tend to exploit issues with in an OS or app that are not patched or updated, thus, hiding your windows xp box behind a firewall doesnt do jack if you are using it for day to day things. Drive by attacks via websites are very common these days, and EDR solutions can literally be bypassed with a single powershell command...

Proper firewall does not stop users from clicking on crap, period. A proper firewall only blocks incoming (and for the few who set it up) outgoing traffic. Inspection and other crap? Most people can not afford those types of firewalls and again, if an end user clicks something, or downloads something, does not matter what perimeter devices you have on your network...

Those malicious links and downloads, they tend to exploit issues with in an OS or app that are not patched or updated, thus, hiding your windows xp box behind a firewall doesnt do jack if you are using it for day to day things. Drive by attacks via websites are very common these days, and EDR solutions can literally be bypassed with a single powershell command...

And that's all you need in order to not loose Windows 10 and 11 features, so I already made my point.

Sounds right. 10years of support is decent enough, beyond that you should be upgrading it. Or just don't worry about support, no one is forcing it. Or move to a different OS. Or pay for 1 year $66 while you work at migrating. So many choices.

When 10 ends next year, will they still issue updates for Windows Security?

When Windows 10 hits EoL, Microsoft isn't obligated to release any operating system updates for it after that point. Although with past operating systems (XP, Win7, etc), they did make a select few exceptions and released some updates after EoL.

If you're talking about Windows Defender updates; based on my past experiences, there is an extremely good chance that Windows Defender will continue to receive updates for a good long while after EoL. Even today Windows 7 still gets Windows Defender updates and the new Malicious Software Removal Tool each time a new one is released.

Microsoft has a good scam going. Introduce new OS requirements which means a huge amount of PC's can't upgrade, then start charging for updates to the OS they can run.

Apparently your personal data isn't worth enough anymore to pay for the free OS upgrade so they have to find revenue somewhere else.

Microsoft needs to do the right thing and extend Windows 10 security updates until at least 2026 for free. By then, 11 has been out 5 years. Their current place to only offer a couple years to force billions of upgrades isn't enough time.

Microsoft has a good scam going. Introduce new OS requirements which means a huge amount of PC's can't upgrade, then start charging for updates to the OS they can run.

The newest CPUs that don't meet the official Windows 11 requirements are now over 7 years old, and will be ~8.5 years old by the time Windows 10 hits EoL. Honestly, that's a pretty good run. The only reason why they aren't officially supported in Windows 11 is because they contain known hardware vulnerabilities. That's not Microsoft's fault. It sucks that we live in a world full of hostile nation-states that actively seek to exploit those vulnerabilities in stark contrast to the care-bear internet of 20+ years ago, but that's the reality of the world in which we live now.

Apparently your personal data isn't worth enough anymore to pay for the free OS upgrade so they have to find revenue somewhere else.

Windows hasn't been Microsoft's primary source of revenue for quite some time, and the idea that their primary motivation here is to squeeze some extra revenue out of Windows is pretty absurd. The OS upgrade from 10 to 11 is still free, and it's trivial to bypass the Windows 11 requirements on old systems if you want to keep using them past Windows 10 EoL.

Microsoft needs to do the right thing and extend Windows 10 security updates until at least 2026 for free. By then, 11 has been out 5 years. Their current place to only offer a couple years to force billions of upgrades isn't enough time.

I certainly wouldn't mind if Microsoft extended support for Windows 10. But why do you need so many years to upgrade to Windows 11 exactly? Windows 10 and Windows 11 are so similar that upgrading is about the equivalent of installing a feature update.

Also, many business are running Windows 10 LTSC, which is already still supported until 2027 without paying anything extra.

Windows 10 and Windows 11 are so similar
My main beef is that the task bar is fixed to be horizontal thus eating up valuable vertical screen space (especially in laptops)

That one feature alone is worth staying back on W10

That is an unnecessary mouse movement to bring back the task bar

I prefer pinning it vertically on the side
1000006922.jpg

Microsoft to charge $427 to extend Windows 10 support by 3 years

https://www.pcworld.com/article/228...e-on-windows-10-microsoft-wants-61-bucks.html
why only business? how does microsoft identify who the end client is? whether it's a business or home user?

And on the subject of windows 11, since some of you brought it up, I have seen some desktop / laptop that are a few yr. old, and can support Windows 11, since when does these few yr. old PC c/w TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chip?

And on the subject of windows 11, since some of you brought it up, I have seen some desktop / laptop that are a few yr. old, and can support Windows 11, since when does these few yr. old PC c/w TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chip?
you mentioned 11... but those cpus have it built in or its on the mobos as a requitement.

You have to go back 7+ years now to find CPUs that don't support Windows 11. Any system that can still reasonably be considered new will support Windows 11. If your PC is only "a few years old" then it's almost certainly supported. Most CPUs that are even somewhat new have TPM built-in to the CPU (fTPM).

Back