Existing 10nm Intel Processor

Source material if anyone is interested. It looks like a worthy read:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13405/intel-10nm-cannon-lake-and-core-i3-8121u-deep-dive-review

The efficiency is rather poor:
20190130_074401.jpg

Though its ability to do AVX512 is impressive:
Screenshot_20190130-074756_Samsung Internet.jpg

Source material if anyone is interested. It looks like a worthy read:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13405/intel-10nm-cannon-lake-and-core-i3-8121u-deep-dive-review

The efficiency is rather poor:
View attachment 138459
Though its ability to do AVX512 is impressive:View attachment 138460

I recall having a conversation with someone on here about how Intel's 10nm was going to murder AMD's 7nm. So, I tossed the initial article up here. Granted I know this was an immature process node and all. Still nice to see where Intel was at in 2017 with 10nm. So, this isn't a massive indication of where they will be at the end of this year with laptops on 10nm and 2020 with desktops.

Ty for linking up the Anandtech stuff. I posted the initial stuff from my cell phone. I suck at linking stuff unless I'm on my PC.

In fairness, I believe this is a different process than Icelake/Sandy Cove or whatever the new Desktop part is.

The funniest part is now Intel is calling their nodes 10nm/14nm class. I guess they got sick of all the 14++++++ nm jokes.

In fairness, I believe this is a different process than Icelake/Sandy Cove or whatever the new Desktop part is.

The funniest part is now Intel is calling their nodes 10nm/14nm class. I guess they got sick of all the 14++++++ nm jokes.
That's a good point... Wonder how they will classify their new "class" system for further revisions? 10nm Class+, 10nm Class++, 10mn Class+++ ? lol

Does anyone know if the reason they delayed Cannondale is because they wanted to include the GPU after hiring an AMD employee? (I'm possibly waiting to buy a Cannondale CPU when Win12 comes out.)

Does anyone know if the reason they delayed Cannondale is because they wanted to include the GPU after hiring an AMD employee? (I'm possibly waiting to buy a Cannondale CPU when Win12 comes out.)

Doubtful. Getting a new GPU architecture made from the ground up is going to take a year or two, at minimum.

I don't think that's the problem. It was all due to low yields and issues getting the 10nm node to be worth a damn. The Cannon Lake above was worse than their 14nm nodes (except in AVX-512 which is/was impressive). The delay is likely due to what it's always been, problems getting 10nm off the ground at competitive or better performance than 14nm. The GPU stuff is in the works, but that is gonna take them time. Intel is working through their internal issues as well, now touting "Full Transparency" and re working graphics drivers, and planning on the future.

We've seen some Intel / AMD corroboration with the NUC stuff. It's kind of interesting, because even if Intel releases their own Video Architecture and knocks it out of the park, they still license all their graphics technology from AMD (used to be Nvidia).

Thanks for the responses. I did more research and found the delay in Cannonlake is exactly that, a delay. Apparently, it's not being cancelled. However, the next version of Windows is being worked on currently. But, they don't know if they'll release it or not. Polaris is a cool name for Windows though. :)

So, I thought of a temporary solution before they end support in January 2020 for Windows 7. I can buy a Solid State Drive for my i5-4570 Win7 machine and put a newer version of Windows on it while I wait for Cannonlake/next Windows.

Does anyone know if I have to unhook the power cables from the hard drives if I unhook the SATA cables?

Does anyone know if I have to unhook the power cables from the hard drives if I unhook the SATA cables?

It won't harm a drive to be powered up but not connected to a PC if that is the question.

Thanks for the responses. I did more research and found the delay in Cannonlake is exactly that, a delay. Apparently, it's not being cancelled. However, the next version of Windows is being worked on currently. But, they don't know if they'll release it or not. Polaris is a cool name for Windows though. :)

So, I thought of a temporary solution before they end support in January 2020 for Windows 7. I can buy a Solid State Drive for my i5-4570 Win7 machine and put a newer version of Windows on it while I wait for Cannonlake/next Windows.

I would unhook the power cables, you don't want to be spinning your drives up for no reason. It won't do anything other than contribute to MTBF and needlessly draw additional wattage.

Last edited:
OK, just a clarification although it sounds slightly off-topic. The new processors apparently are going to be Ice Lake. Cannonlake will be skipped over.

OK, just a clarification although it sounds slightly off-topic. The new processors apparently are going to be Ice Lake. Cannonlake will be skipped over.
It's really not off topic. Cannon Lake processors were shit, so, yeah Intel decided to go back to the drawing board.

Laptop/Mobile Processors at the end of 2019 and Desktop Processors sometime in 2020.

Last edited:
Back