Apple's 'Let Loose' iPad Air and iPad Pro event: M4?

This at first glance look quite impressive ?

geekbench.png

+22% from the 13inch laptop form factor in multi thread ?

Like mentionned this i imagine for most only translate in much more battery life (has the Ipad will always just use very little of the chips), which is not useless for an Ipad...

That said it is probably telling that after scrolling fast over 4 reviews, I have seen not a single actual application benchmark (a bit like we often see with new nvme SSDs drive), outside battery life maybe all that extra power feel different when you use it but not something easy to put number on for what people do with them ....

Maybe they'll do something useful with iPadOS later this year? Because as of right now, the iPads can't even take advantage of all this excess power. The OS is really holding it back.

Same thinking here, my wife's Air 2 is probably getting replaced for her birthday. I've looked at Android tablets and owned them in the past plus I know they're better hardware and value for the money, but I can never get used to the Android OS/UI. I was looking at the comparison page for ipads (https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/?modelList=ipad-air-2,ipad-10th-gen,ipad-air-11-m2), I guess I'm leaning toward either the base 10th gen iPad or the new Air. The 10th gen iPad is "only" $350, but the improvements over our Air 2's are pretty limited - mostly it's the new processor, a fresh battery, and the ability to run new iOS versions.

I was considering a Galaxy Tab for the included stylus and OLED screen for media consumption. This upgrade for the new Air really isn’t exciting me a whole lot considering what I can get with the Galaxy, but I do agree with you on I just prefer the feel of iOS to Android, and I have used both. Tough decision to make!

This at first glance look quite impressive ?

View attachment 653725

+22% from the 13inch laptop form factor in multi thread ?

Like mentionned this i imagine for most only translate in much more battery life (has the Ipad will always just use very little of the chips), which is not useless for an Ipad...

That said it is probably telling that after scrolling fast over 4 reviews, I have seen not a single actual application benchmark (a bit like we often see with new nvme SSDs drive), outside battery life maybe all that extra power feel different when you use it but not something easy to put number on for what people do with them ....
The issue with the iPads and such and the benchmarks is very few things push the chips to 100% so what it translates to most is better battery.

For most tasks we’re talking about going from 7s down to 6.2 seconds, 8% CPU/GPU utilization instead of 12% which nets you an extra hour over a day.
Or maybe it’s things like skipping ahead in a Netflix or Disney movie and the movie just picking up right away and not stuttering.
If you are using the iPad for Adobe and such I would expect it to be somewhat meaningful that said the M1 variants we have are getting the jobs done in their allotted time slots.
I’m tempted my the M4, but I also have some $900 loaded up into the GW shopping cart, and I’m pretty sure I’ll get in trouble if I do both…

I was considering a Galaxy Tab for the included stylus and OLED screen for media consumption. This upgrade for the new Air really isn’t exciting me a whole lot considering what I can get with the Galaxy, but I do agree with you on I just prefer the feel of iOS to Android, and I have used both. Tough decision to make!

i've also used iPad and Galaxy Tab. Currently using the Galaxy Tab since for work, i can use it as a second monitor with the Windows laptop. The aspect ratio is also more optimized for media consumption. Other general use, it doesn't make a difference between the Tab and iPad for me.

Back