>160GB <$180 SSD recommendation?

titan97

Gawd
Boot times and application load times are terrible on my old WD 160GB drive running Windows Home Server 2011. Several of my services are timing out after 30,000ms of wait.

I'm looking for an SSD to replace it. I have a budget of around $180. WHS 2011 has a requirement of at least 160GB. I'm also looking to the future and Windows Small Business Server 2012 Essentials, which has the same requirement.

System specs:
ASUS P5Q Pro w/ C2Q Q9300 (thanks t_ski !)
6GB DDR2-800
numerous SATA & IDE drives
ATI x300 vid card

Which SSD would you recommend?

If you can find it on sale to meet your budget, I recommend the Intel 520 Series Solid-State Drive, 180 GB. This has Toggle-NAND. And I'm sure a Samsung 830 (also if you can find one on sale) would work well for you - you can find these discounted sometimes as they move to introduce the 840 series.

Dunno if you have a SATA 6Gbps interface on your mobo or not but why not get one on your SSD anyway :D

Why not get one on your SSD anyway :D

Probably because to do this he would have to change motherboards, which would mean he would also have to change CPUs. That's a ton of money to dump just for two sata 3 ports which probably wouldn't have any noticeable real world benefit anyways from my understandings.

Probably because to do this he would have to change motherboards, which would mean he would also have to change CPUs. That's a ton of money to dump just for two sata 3 ports which probably wouldn't have any noticeable real world benefit anyways from my understandings.

He won't have to change motherboards just for a SATA3 SSD, since it's backwards compatible. The thing I'm seeing is that SATA2 drives don't really seem to be too much less expensive at all vs. the on-sale SATA3 drives. Might as well go for the SATA3 and get the fresher firmware tech at least.

if you're in the US, you can score a barebones Intel 520 240GB for $179.99 on Ebay.
for that you get a SSD, an antistat bag, and a packet of silica gel.
the particular one I see is a good seller with a warranty :)

Check out the hot deals forum, there is a 256GB Samsung 830 going for $160 if you live near a microcenter (may be gone by now), but they can be had for under $180 shipped and are some great drives.

hot deals link

Yeah, wait for a sale on a 256 gig samsung 830/840pro or crucial M4. When they go on sale the prices land around 160 dollars.

get the samsung 830 256GB for under $180 either in deals section or ebay. i have several and they are amazing, great firmware support too! superfast =)

Thanks for the tips. So, I should keep an eye out for any of these:

Intel 520 240GB
Intel 330 180GB

Samsung 830 256GB

Crucial M4 (I've heard some grumbling about the latest BIOS. Should I be concerned?)

Back