Where are the 8K Monitors?

What settings do you use, I imagine that you have at least enabled game bar to get 240 hz to work? Have you tried out using screen ratio to make the image a bit lower in height? Personally I found that 65" full screen is way to big for any kind of normal PC gaming, ie with you sitting less than one meter away.

From the QN900C I also get the feeling that most if not all that fancy AI stuff is disabled in game mode, it is basically an upscaler then.

From a strict PQ perspective, at least if you disregard brightness, OLED is simply superior to anything LCD based. That said, the QN900C stod up surprisingly well even to the 32" QDOLEDs, much because of that extra brightness.

I just tried 21:9 the scaling is nice for reading forums etc as well, but it's still full screen in desktop mode at least.

Not tried that in any games yet.

Yeah I'm more impressed with the TV from a distance than as close I am to it, and of course at 8K this thing is amazing, but outside of desktop, not too many games can run well there, I may tr some more simple games and see how they do.

Thanks, I took a look.

Interesting bits:
  • "Cinema 4K" aka 4096x2160 seems to be supported up to 120 Hz.
  • UHD 4K is defined up to 120 Hz but I could not find the 240 Hz option.
  • Supports 1440p @ 120 Hz too.
  • VRR range is 48-240 Hz.
  • Supports 3840x1080 superultrawide, 2560x1080 and 3840x1600 ultrawide resolutions at 120 Hz.
  • 1080p @ 240 Hz is defined.
I'm by no means an expert on how EDID works, so it might be because max refresh rate is defined as 240 Hz in one of the detailed descriptors, it will also work for all those resolutions without having them defined separately.

Can you run for example 3840x1600 @ 240 Hz ?

Since the panel seems to be 240 Hz (or it's a dual mode controller with 4K 240 Hz, 8K 60 Hz), I'm very curious if you could get 8K @ 120 Hz running at 8-bit color with a custom res. It might not be possible as perhaps the GPU will be limited to 8K 60 Hz.

Does the QN900D have a Multiview mode or whatever Samsung calls it? Basically Picture by Picture from multiple inputs. If yes, what refresh rate and resolutions does that support? 4x 4K 120 Hz would be a neat way to get a big grid of desktop space...

Thanks, I took a look.

Interesting bits:
  • Supports 3840x1080 superultrawide, 2560x1080 and 3840x1600 ultrawide resolutions at 120 Hz.
I'm by no means an expert on how EDID works, so it might be because max refresh rate is defined as 240 Hz in one of the detailed descriptors, it will also work for all those resolutions without having them defined separately.

Since the panel seems to be 240 Hz (or it's a dual mode controller with 4K 240 Hz, 8K 60 Hz), I'm very curious if you could get 8K @ 120 Hz running at 8-bit color with a custom res. It might not be possible as perhaps the GPU will be limited to 8K 60 Hz.

Cinema 4K makes the image look more hazy and blurred, but it did have the 120 option.
Yeah there are lots of resolutions it supports, but it still full screen because I guess the active signal can handle it.

If someone wants to correctly set that up I'll try it, these are my 3840x2160 frame rate choices.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-14 191833.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 191833.png
    173.3 KB · Views: 2
Does the QN900D have a Multiview mode or whatever Samsung calls it? Basically Picture by Picture from multiple inputs. If yes, what refresh rate and resolutions does that support? 4x 4K 120 Hz would be a neat way to get a big grid of desktop space...

Yes it has multiview was able to select up to 4 different options, in my scenario, PC, Youtube app, samsung tv app & weather app, but guessing it could work like you suggested possible with 4 HDMI connections.

Thanks, I took a look.

Interesting bits:

Probably can't hurt to try, but . . . . I don't think nvidia will do over 8k 60hz on it's 3000 - 4000 series. Idk about amd. Nvidia shares the ports and apparently shuts one down even to do 8k 60hz I think. From what I read they didn't design it for any higher off of a single port. They also can't do more than two 4k 240hz screens.

Convo from other thread a little while back:

I'm able to run AW32 4k240 and Innocn 4k160 simultaneously just fine....and switch off each and renable each with zero issues.

Then today I added a second 4k160 and all hell broke loose. Apparently 4090s can't hack 3 high refresh 4k displays at the same time and I could only run 2 displays simultaneously. Worse the 240hz option for the aw32 was GONE and no matter what I tried I could not get 240hz back until I unplugged third display 😞

Most of this is from a reddit user's reply , and a tweaktown review
. . .

"
According to the tweaktown article below:

NVIDIA's specs for the GeForce RTX 4090 list the maximum capabilities as "4 independent displays at 4K 120Hz using DP or HDMI, 2 independent displays at 4K 240Hz or 8K 60Hz with DSC using DP or HDMI." Could support be added as part of a driver update? That remains to be seen."

"

Reddit user reply from a g95nc thread

I want to clarify how DSC works since I have yet to see anyone actually understand what is going on.
DSC uses display pipelines within the GPU silicon itself to compress the the image down. Ever notice how one or more display output ports will be disabled when using DSC at X resolution and Y frequency? That is because the GPU stealing those display lanes to process and compress the image.
So what does this mean? It means if the configuration, in silicon, does not allow for enough display output pipelines to to be used by a single output port, THAT is where the bottleneck occurs."

Nividia's own spec notes that only 8k 60hz is feasible using DSC over HDMI 2.1 on their cards by disabling at least one port (it will just disable the one that isn't plugged in), so it's clear all the display pipelines are interconnected for use together. I suppose it may be possible to forcibly disable 2 ports to achieve a high enough internal bandwidth to deal with 240hz at 1/2 8k resolution, but again, that is also determined by the slicing and compression capabilities."

Could be display stream compression enabled for 240hz and not necessary for 120hz ?

Some of this below might be dated, idk. Maybe something in here applies to your question.

Sounds like setting 240Hz applies DSC and that makes the nvidia gpus fail and default back to 60hz, at least when at 10bit setting. I'd suspect the 120hz setting is for consoles and other 120hz devices, non DSC compatibility.

I'm trying to follow along on this issue out of curiosity about the G95NC and nvidia tech but also because the nvidia limitations might also impact me if I ever do an 8k gaming tv setup. For example, the ports and hardware on the upcoming samsung 900D 8k tv on the TV end of the equation can do 8k 120hz and 4k 240hz (upscaled to 8k using their new and improved AI upscaling chip).

. . . . . . . . . .

From the reddit user referenced in the TweakTown Article below:

You cannot run G9 57' even with 4090 (reddit link)

"The 4090's (and all 3000 and 4000 series for that matter) support full 48Gbps bandwidth over HDMI 2.1
I want to clarify how DSC works since I have yet to see anyone actually understand what is going on.
DSC uses display pipelines within the GPU silicon itself to compress the the image down. Ever notice how one or more display output ports will be disabled when using DSC at X resolution and Y frequency? That is because the GPU stealing those display lanes to process and compress the image.
So what does this mean? It means if the configuration, in silicon, does not allow for enough display output pipelines to to be used by a single output port, THAT is where the bottleneck occurs.
But there are deeper things with DSC than bandwidth. There is also how the compression is done, both ratio wise and slice wise. DSC will happily allow a 3.75:1 ratio for 10 bit inputs so long as the driver/firmware of the GPU allows for it (as it is part of DSC spec). Nvidia's VR API tools for developers only allow for a max of 3:1 it should be noted.
The allowable slice dimensions and count (how the screen is divided for compression) also determines how much throughput can be achieved (by way of increasing parallelism during compression). This is a silicon/hardware limitation, though again, could be limited by firmware.
So there are two possible things that will happen with Nvidia cards:

• Silicon supports enough bandwidth sharing/slices/compression and a driver update can allow for 240hz
  • Silicon does not support enough bandwidth sharing/slices/compression and no driver can fix it
Nividia's own spec notes that only 8k 60hz is feasible using DSC over HDMI 2.1 on their cards by disabling at least one port (it will just disable the one that isn't plugged in), so it's clear all the display pipelines are interconnected for use together. I suppose it may be possible to forcibly disable 2 ports to achieve a high enough internal bandwidth to deal with 240hz at 1/2 8k resolution, but again, that is also determined by the slicing and compression capabilities."

According to the tweaktown article below:

NVIDIA's specs for the GeForce RTX 4090 list the maximum capabilities as "4 independent displays at 4K 120Hz using DP or HDMI, 2 independent displays at 4K 240Hz or 8K 60Hz with DSC using DP or HDMI." Could support be added as part of a driver update? That remains to be seen.

. . . . . . . . . .

From Rtings review of the G95NC (Nov 20, 2023) :

. . .

The chart below doesn't show 8 bit vs 10bit.

september 2023
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9342...240-samsung-odyssey-g9-neo-monitor/index.html

Personally I'm way more interested in feedback and eventually picking apart the 4k 240hz gaming functionality upscaled to 8k, as well as what smaller resolutions 1:1 pixel mapped and multi-input PbP mode stuff is possible.

I doubt we'd know if over 8k 60hz was possible until someone got a nvidia 5000 series gpu, if they even changed how their lanes/slices/ports work to full for at least one port on those.

Last edited:
Probably can't hurt to try, but . . . . I don't think nvidia will do over 8k 60hz on it's 3000 - 4000 series. Idk about amd. Nvidia shares the ports and apparently shuts one down even to do 8k 60hz I think. From what I read they didn't design it for any higher off of a single port. They also can't do more than two 4k 240hz screens.

Convo from other thread a little while back:
How about the 7900xtx? as that's what I'm using at the moment.

How about the 7900xtx? as that's what I'm using at the moment.

Yeah i have no idea there. Maybe AMD is better in that regard. They did full bitrate sooner than nvidia at one point I think too.

Maybe you could lower the bitrate to 8bit and cap the max hz to 100Hz 8k somehow timings wise just to test . I'm not on expert on it.

Appreciate your takes whatever you do with it already.

Yes it has multiview was able to select up to 4 different options, in my scenario, PC, Youtube app, samsung tv app & weather app, but guessing it could work like you suggested possible with 4 HDMI connections.
Can you actually get it to work with a PC in Game mode? At least I never have with the QN900C, only way is to disable game mode.

Ah no, not tried that yet, I'll look into it.

Just in case you didn't already know, most gaming TVs, once set to PC mode , are in RGB mode. RGB is 444 chroma which is the most detailed and full mapping of color for details in presented images, objects, and especially text. When it's not in RGB mode, text will look kind of tattered as the amount of color information has been downgraded somewhat.

You don't need RGB for watching movies/media because those are mastered below 4:4:4 already anyway. 4k uhd and blurays are 4:2:0. For pc desktop and gaming we all want 444 imo, but we can cut the bitrate from 12 or 10 to maybe 8 if we had to. To do HDR proper you need a lot of color volume though.

Improvise could advise you how to do it on a samsung tv's on screen display menus (OSD), but on my LG OLED you have to hit a named "edit" heading, the actual word "edit" in the input section of the menus. Then you change the hdmi input's icon to a PC icon and it will then be labeled PC (and that will be RGB/444).

You have to go into your pc gpu display settings (resolution, hz, etc) and make sure it's on RGB there too though, to be safe.

Last edited:
Just in case you didn't already know, most gaming TVs, once set to PC mode , are in RGB mode. RGB is 444 chroma which is the most detailed and full mapping of color for details in presented images, objects, and especially text. When it's not in RGB mode, text will look kind of tattered as the amount of color information has been downgraded somewhat.

You don't need RGB for watching movies/media because those are mastered below 4:4:4 already anyway. 4k uhd and blurays are 4:2:0. For pc desktop and gaming we all want 444 imo, but we can cut the bitrate from 12 or 10 to maybe 8 if we had to. To do HDR proper you need a lot of color volume though.

Improvise could advise you how to do it on a samsung tv's on screen display menus (OSD), but on my LG OLED you have to hit a named "edit" heading, the actual word "edit" in the input section of the menus. Then you change the hdmi input's icon to a PC icon and it will then be labeled PC (and that will be RGB/444).

You have to go into your pc gpu display settings (resolution, hz, etc) and make sure it's on RGB there too though, to be safe.
From what I can recall, for the QN900, you also have to be in game mode for 4:4:4 to work as weird as that might sound, which would basically mean that you would always be in game mode if used as a PC monitor. Which is a bit sad if you actually want to use it as a TV, at least assuming content is coming from the PC, at which point you might actually want that AI stuff. Of course, using a different source would probably solve that.

At least in my setup, PC mode, Game mode and Input signal plus was all activated automatically.

If you can, try connecting multiple computers or just multiple outputs and see what resolution/refresh rate options are available. I'm curious if it can do above 60 Hz in that scenario. Using the built in smart TV apps isn't a good metric as that might limit your refresh rate options.

If you can, try connecting multiple computers or just multiple outputs and see what resolution/refresh rate options are available. I'm curious if it can do above 60 Hz in that scenario. Using the built in smart TV apps isn't a good metric as that might limit your refresh rate options.

I read this about the 55" 4k 1000R curve ark (gen 2 anyway), if the same thing on the 900D, then it might not be optimal for gaming in PbB/multi-input vs just using a whole desktop of app windows + a windowed game. There are stream deck or displayfusion, and a few other methods you can use to remove window frames and title bars on windows for games that won't do borderless window sizes. Idk if you could force a 4k 240hz desktop though, or what that would look like for desktop/apps. 8k 60hz gaming isn't appealing to me personally.

Based on the specs on the store front, when in multi-view it drops the refresh rate to 120hz for each input. You also can't use gamemode or VRR when in multi-view mode

. .

From what I can recall, for the QN900, you also have to be in game mode for 4:4:4 to work as weird as that might sound, which would basically mean that you would always be in game mode if used as a PC monitor. Which is a bit sad if you actually want to use it as a TV, at least assuming content is coming from the PC, at which point you might actually want that AI stuff. Of course, using a different source would probably solve that.

At least in my setup, PC mode, Game mode and Input signal plus was all activated automatically.

You could change the picture mode for full screen media. Media has always looked better in media modes and with processing active than pc/rgb/gaming mode. Watching something in a window can still be ok but it won't look nearly as good - let alone with all of the things the 900D brings to the table now for media.

That's one of the things multiple screens has an advantage with, since you could have a separate media display from a desktop/app display. Then even if your gaming tv is your gaming driver, you could watch a movie or show on it in media modes while using other screen(s) for desktop/apps at the same time. That's where some tradeoffs of making a single huge 8k worth of desktop/app real-estate might come in, since you have probably used most of your front facing area for a single screen already.

. .

Last edited:
I read this about the 55" 4k 1000R curve ark (gen 2 anyway), if the same thing on the 900D, then it might not be optimal for gaming in PbB/multi-input vs just using a whole desktop of app windows + a windowed game. There are stream deck or displayfusion, and a few other methods you can use to remove window frames and title bars on windows for games that won't do borderless window sizes. Idk if you could force a 4k 240hz desktop though, or what that would look like for desktop/apps. 8k 60hz gaming isn't appealing to me personally.

. .

You could change the picture mode for full screen media. Media has always looked better in media modes and with processing active than pc/rgb/gaming mode. Watching something in a window can still be ok but it won't look nearly as good - let alone with all of the things the 900D brings to the table now for media.

That's one of the things multiple screens has an advantage with, since you could have a separate media display from a desktop/app display. Then even if your gaming tv is your gaming driver, you could watch a movie or show on it in media modes while using other screen(s) for desktop/apps at the same time. That's where some tradeoffs of making a single huge 8k worth of desktop/app real-estate might come in, since you have probably used most of your front facing area for a single screen already.

. .
Enabling/disabling game mode has some other side effects though, kind of like when you plug in a new monitor. Ie not something you want to do to often in the fly.

Enabling/disabling game mode has some other side effects though, kind of like when you plug in a new monitor. Ie not something you want to do to often in the fly.

Idk how samsung does it , I can switch picture modes on my LG gaming OLED tvs no problem.

I mean, you might have to make sure your graphics driver/gpu panels corresponded rgb/ 420 wise though I guess. Idk if running 420 on the screen and 444 on the pc would look worse than both on 4:2:0 to be honest.

. . .

I'm mainly interested in if it could be used as a workaround to get basically 8K res but above 60 Hz refresh rates by abusing Picture by Picture from the same computer with multiple inputs. Purely for desktop use. It was a good workaround for the superultrawides to display full resolution on older GPUs that can't do e.g 5120x1440.

But if game mode is out in PbP, then that's probably way too much input lag to be comfortable even for desktop use.

Unlike MacOS, Windows doesn't care if your windows are fully inside a particular screen so visually it would look identical to running it with one input at 8K 60 Hz.

Since GPUs usually have only 1x HDMI, you'd probably need a bunch of DP -> HDMI 2.1 adapters for this to work, and DSC might still make it impossible.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not able to test out your theories as I've only got 1 HDMI device connected to the TV (my pc) and no other devices to try out at the moment

Unfortunately not able to test out your theories as I've only got 1 HDMI device connected to the TV (my pc) and no other devices to try out at the moment
Do you still get 4K 120 Hz on the PC when using Multiview tho? And does Game Mode still work?

Idk how samsung does it , I can switch picture modes on my LG gaming OLED tvs no problem.

I mean, you might have to make sure your graphics driver/gpu panels corresponded rgb/ 420 wise though I guess. Idk if running 420 on the screen and 444 on the pc would look worse than both on 4:2:0 to be honest.

. . .
I think it is more "mode jumping" unlike the OLEDs which just change processing. Kind of like the 240 hz switch on the Neo G9s. Changes dithering, FALD etc. Since game mode is needed for both actual gaming and for 4:4:4, I found it easier just to always be in that mode (or perhaps wire up another source for "TV").

Do you still get 4K 120 Hz on the PC when using Multiview tho? And does Game Mode still work?
When I tried it out, I got the feeling Multi View was more along the lines of "watch the news and a YT exercise video at the same time". Ie things that might feel impressive to more normal people not discussing TVs online in their spare time :)

Hey guys, unfortunately I can't be of more help at the moment, I've requested a return for the device.

I may be acquiring another one at the end of the month saving me money, or just waiting for an 8K 120hz device to drop in the future, 8K looked amazing, especially once I played around with some of the colour settings a bit more on the tv to get it more to my liking.

I don't think it's worth it's RRP however, and unless you desperately need that 240hz (and even then) I'd say tolerate 144hz on an OLED for better picture quality and value for money.

That's my real opinion on it after dropping nearly £5K on it.

I'm back on my 360hz Alienware and I can feel the drop off in resolution and brightness quite dramatically but the framerate makes it a beauty to use with it's motion clarity (which is more important for these displays anyway when they're gaming focused)

If the QN900D supports 120hz 8K that'd be a game changer... for the long term value of the TV in my eyes.

If gaming is the priority reason for getting this TV I'd still recommend the S90C over this for now, 5090 may change that discussion if it's pushing almost every current release with DLSS to 240hz and can do 8K 60/120hz

Forgot to mention Rainbow Six looked amazing at 8K while playing it, but the 60hz limit just too noticeable and off putting for me, even 100hz would be lovely.

Hey guys, unfortunately I can't be of more help at the moment, I've requested a return for the device.

I may be acquiring another one at the end of the month saving me money, or just waiting for an 8K 120hz device to drop in the future, 8K looked amazing, especially once I played around with some of the colour settings a bit more on the tv to get it more to my liking.

I don't think it's worth it's RRP however, and unless you desperately need that 240hz (and even then) I'd say tolerate 144hz on an OLED for better picture quality and value for money.

I'm back on my 360hz Alienware and I can feel the drop off in resolution and brightness quite dramatically but the framerate makes it a beauty to use with it's motion clarity (which is more important for these displays anyway when they're gaming focused)

If the QN900D supports 120hz 8K that'd be a game changer... for the long term value of the TV in my eyes.

If gaming is the priority reason for getting this TV I'd still recommend the S90C over this for now, 5090 may change that discussion if it's pushing almost every current release with DLSS to 240hz and can do 8K 60/120hz

Forgot to mention Rainbow Six looked amazing at 8K while playing it, but the 60hz limit just too noticeable and off putting for me, even 100hz would be lovely.
This is basically the same reasons why I bought the QN900C instead for less than half that price. Never really saw the added value of the QN900D when mostly used as a PC monitor. Thanks for taking one for the team though :)

Yeah they ask a huge early adopter fee for their stuff (samsung). They drop a good chunk even after like 4 months, and then toward the end of the year usually even more.

Appreciate all the details you gave.

I'll keep following the 900D stuff. It might be a very long wait but I'll have to see if gaming tvs, (*especially OLED) ever get 240hz so I could put one center stage in my monitor array. I really don't want to go back to monitor sizes if I can help it. Price/performance wise a 900D might still be appetizing enough at some point though.

Yeah they ask a huge early adopter fee for their stuff (samsung). They drop a good chunk even after like 4 months, and then toward the end of the year usually even more.

Appreciate all the details you gave.

I'll keep following the 900D stuff. It might be a very long wait but I'll have to see if gaming tvs, (*especially OLED) ever get 240hz so I could put one center stage in my monitor array. I really don't want to go back to monitor sizes if I can help it. Price/performance wise a 900D might still be appetizing enough at some point though.

Yeah I was happy to pay it, if it had ticked all the boxes I wanted and I was satisfied I would have kept it, unfortunately I've been spoilt by OLED already. I guess you could argue the fact this can even compete with it, should be considered a big deal. And 240hz is great, but not as big a pull for me as I initially expected, perhaps it's the sheer size of 65" that gives it a different experience and I probably need to wait for a 5090 to pump more games at 240hz :)

I may be getting it for half the price I paid for this one, so that makes it a much better value purchase, with some decent resale value if I want to move it on later in the year. But If I'm not lucky enough to acquire one at that price, I'll stick with the Alienware for now :) and wait to see what deals come up through the year, may consider the LG G4 etc as well.

OLED 240hz TV is what we need for sure, I'd like them to introduce DP 2.1 as well to higher end models and one connect box...

This is basically the same reasons why I bought the QN900C instead for less than half that price. Never really saw the added value of the QN900D when mostly used as a PC monitor. Thanks for taking one for the team though :)

I did watch some TV content on it as well, and it would technically be used as a tv on days I want it to, but OLED does a better job at that at those side of things.

I thought I'd stick around for the 240hz, but the 8K was for more enticing.

I did watch some TV content on it as well, and it would technically be used as a tv on days I want it to, but OLED does a better job at that at those side of things.

I thought I'd stick around for the 240hz, but the 8K was for more enticing.
Yes, OLED is by far my preferred choice for PQ. I never really did try the QN900C with all the TV bells and whistles enabled (ie outside of game mode) but in game mode I was actually surprised of how bad streaming TV looked. As I do also have a thought of using it as a secondary TV in some cases, this has me actually considering the dual 42" OLED setup once again. But for mostly PC productivity, brightness and text quality the 8K is hard to beat.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byfBWDnToYk

Could this be a possible work around? for a 120hz or more experience?

I think it might be useful if you could figure out how to show the virtual screen on your real monitor, then use the virtual screen for e.g fullscreen YT videos or other things where fullscreen is generally a problem on superultrawides and large monitors where fullscreen shows it on your massive screen rather than in a portion of it.

But your display would still run at 8K 60 Hz so it doesn't help for that.

Not sure how you would go about showing the virtual screen on your real display. OBS could show it to you and you could record it, but that's not really convenient for using the virtual display as if it was just another window.

I tried this out on MacOS using BetterDisplay, which can create virtual screens (but only 60 Hz). It worked fine for showing in OBS but is not a practical way to use it.

BetterDisplay actually supports a "Picture In Picture" feature that streams the contents of the virtual display into a window. That would be a near-perfect feature for large displays if you want to do something like "fullscreen" on a portion of the display, probably mainly useful for things like YouTube. It still has a window bar up top so not "proper" fullscreen but good enough maybe.

Last edited:
Back