Power output quality of larger portable energy storage units?

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
For over a decade now, I've been using UPS units (think CyberPower PFC units) behind computers and other important home electronics. These have large, heavy and relatively low capacity lead acid batteries that usually I can get 4-5 years out of and provide a pretty decent sine wave reproduction on their output stage. In exchange for a ~ $100-200 unit that's heavy to move and not terribly functional, I've gotten A+ 100% electronics protection (not one piece of gear affected during an outage or storm) and a paltry half hour or so of runtime. I also get crappy usability like LCD screens that become unreadable after a year or two, and USB ports that flake out if you look at them the wrong way.

Recently, with some sales going on and the need for some portable storage for a road trip, I bought an Anker Solix C800 Plus. With the sale, it was a solid $400 - not inexpensive by any means. It's not meant to be a home UPS - it's portable storage for camping and the like. In that context, it has some 800Wh of capacity (much more than the Cyperpowers...) using cells that will last 3-4x longer. It provides the "UPS" features one wants like no loss of power for connected devices when losing grid power. It has a long list of nice little features that you wouldn't find a "computer UPS" like integrated lighting and flashlights, comfortable handles and balanced weight distribution for easy pick-up and travel, gobs of integrated inputs (solar DC, etc.) and outputs (USB, DC12V etc.), apps with rich features like energy monitoring, schedules etc. and much, much more. And yes, easily 5-10x the runtime if I do lose power, and an inverter that isn't scared of beyond-kilowatt loads like my consumer-esque APC/CyberPower units often are. This particular unit is just the entry level to a class of portable energy storage devices that can be very large, powerful and capable.

So, in short, it's expensive but far, far more capable and in some ways, perceived greater bang-for-buck, at least with the right sales.

What I have not been able to gather from anywhere is the quality of the 120VAC output on these devices, and I don't feel comfortable measuring directly like I once might have been. So whereas the older units have given me an amazing track record of always protecting equipment downstream of them, I don't know if I'd get that same benefit with this class of UPS.

Has anyone kicked the tires on such portable battery backup units?

They dont have a fast enough switch over time to replace a UPS.
However you can plug a USP into one for extended run time if the output is good enough not to trigger the UPS all the time.
I know people who do it with ecoflow units combined with APC or Cyberpower true sine wave UPS..

Anker Solix C800 Plus has a 20ms switching time, not quick enough for a PC.
Interesting, I have tested the C800 a few times with my PC on, along with lights and other devices, with no evidence of issue, and various reviews indicated as such, but perhaps the spec is borderline and therefore not advised.

Interesting, I have tested the C800 a few times with my PC on, along with lights and other devices, with no evidence of issue, and various reviews indicated as such, but perhaps the spec is borderline and therefore not advised.
A big PS lightly loaded will hold up longer because it has bigger capacitors however under heavier load that changes.
Under 10ms is considered to be the target for a good UPS.

A big PS lightly loaded will hold up longer because it has bigger capacitors however under heavier load that changes.
Under 10ms is considered to be the target for a good UPS.
Thank you. I see that the CyberPower PFC units I’ve been using have a typical switchover time advertised as 4ms versus 20ms of the Anker. I do like the idea of running a very low energy (but high power) UPS in series with one of these units solely to buffer the switchover interval. I can see myself purchasing a two or three of these portable energy storage units in the kWh class for varied use outdoors and when traveling, but when at home they would make superb standby UPS for network equipment, computers, televisions etc. so I’d like to “put them to work” at home when I’m not actively traveling with them….

They will run a freezer a surprisingly long time as long as it isn't opened much.
A sump pump will drain them quickly so for them get 3x as big as you think you need.

Back