Looking for PSU suggestion: PSU with front/rear intake/exhaust only need apply

jimthebob

Gawd
So long story short, I just had an Enermax PSU take a dump on me in my Pfsense 2u box. Heard a "zap", smelt the blue smoke, and unit dead. Internet down, boo. Luckily the PSU death didn't take any other components with it. I dropped in an old PC Power & Cooling 470 unit as a temp replacement to get by. Funny that such an old unit can still be in service today...

Anywho, I'm looking for solid recommendations for a replacement (low) power unit (CPU is an E3-1225 max 95w with 8gb RAM and a dual GBe NIC) to get me sorted out. Only real restraint is it kinda needs to be a unit that doesn't have the seemingly traditional 120mm top fan. Instead, b/c 2u chassis, I need a unit with more "classic" 80mm exhaust out the back. Obv the lower the cost the better but I don't want a POS PSU. TIA!

Wow. I remember LiteOn power supplies with the classic 80mm screamer fan. Maybe flebay?

Well jimthebob what was the obvious solution?

I dunno if I want to say b/c in retrospect it was dumb on my part 😆

I guess I'll put it like this: the pic below is the case which houses my Pfsense box. If you'll carefully notice the vents on the top panel in the rear left...and I have nothing sitting on top of this chassis in my setup...and this is where the PSU goes...

(I can use any standard ATX PSU, including those with 120mm fans like they all seem to be nowadays)

I'll blame my derp on two or three things: first, when the old PSU popped I was in the middle of hosting a watch party for the latest episode of Picard with a buddy so it was kind of a rush job to grab a spare old PSU and get the box up and going again (said PSU also happened to be old enough that it also uses an 80mm fan for cooling). Second, by the time I got around to looking for a replacement unit last night/posting on here, I had got it in my head that the dead PSU was 80mm exhaust so new one must be too...b/c rack mount. This leads to the third reason that just let that dumb thoughts fester in my head: adult beverages were involved. I woke up this morning, looked at the situation with the obviously vented top panel sitting on the floor and immediately facepalmed.

619tjaat9BL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Back